I was channel surfing the other day and came across a cooking/travel show called Diary of a Foodie that was going through India.
Being an amateur cook with a penchant for Indian cuisine and an interest in the subcontinent that actually goes beyond ogling Bollywood star Aishwarya Rai (which I also enjoy) so I watched it.
For the finale the show had a recipe for Chicken Vindaloo, and it looked really good.
So today I tried it, and I was not disappointed.
It was good.
So here's the recipe from the show's website:
Makes 6 servings
- Active Time:15 min
- Start to Finish:45 minRemoving the skin from the chicken legs allows the spices in vindaloo paste to penetrate the meat, while yogurt locks in moisture during cooking.
- 1 cup plain yogurt (not low-fat; preferably Greek-style)
- 1/4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Vindaloo Paste (preferably Patak's Brand)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 whole chicken legs (thigh and drumstick; 3 3/4 pounds), skin discarded
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 500°F. Line rack of a broiler pan with foil.
- Stir together all ingredients except chicken in a large bowl until combined well. Coat both sides of chicken legs well with yogurt mixture (use all of it), then transfer to broiler pan, arranging them in 1 layer.
- Roast chicken until charred in some spots and cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.