Sunday 31 May 2009

Sunday Survey Question: Guilty Pleasures

Today I'm going ask you, my occasional readers to offer up a confession, if you will, to your movie-pop culture related guilty pleasures.

I'll start. My guilty pleasure for some reason are British murder mystery TV movies. If a show featuring Inspector Morse, Adam Dalgliesh, or the corpse of the lecherous Lord Autumnbottom turning up in the vicar's rose garden, comes on, I'm going to watch it, and if it's well done, I'll probably enjoy it.

I'm not sure where it comes from, having been inducted into crime fiction via Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and Jim Thompson, I was positive that I'd be solely into film noir, and other more "gritty" productions, and eschew the unhip "cozy" genre, but while I love film noir, they are not my secret movie crack.

So what are your pop-culture guilty pleasures?

3 comments:

  1. I can't think of any "ongoing" guilty pleasures unless it's the fact that I like (some) movies that the online critics seems to see as beneath contempt. Specifically, animated movies and, usually, the criticism has to do with how bad the animation is.

    What. The. Hell.

    If a movie has a good story I don't care if it's done with sock puppets and recorded on 8mm film.

    Also, I don't really give very much of a damn what the movie critic self-proclaimed elite think. If it makes me laugh, it's a good movie.

    I think that's it, really. I really, really, really don't like being told I'm an idiot (BS Physics/CIS) because I enjoyed a film that those "in the know" think is bad.

    Does that make me a bad person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I have my fair share of bad movies I, for some reason, very much like.

    Cruel Intentions; Dude, Where's My Car along with Con Air are some of the more obvious. Then there are of course the slashers, namely the Friday the 13th series

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was finally catching up with your blog after what I see now was a long time away. Your site is incredibly difficult to pull up on my computer and if I don't have a good clear half hour to fight with it, I won't get The Fantastic Adventures of Furious D to come up at all, and I have precious little time these days. Anyway, I saw this fun post and clicked on comments before I had time to think about it. Well, I've had lots of time to think about it while waiting for the comments to open, and now I'm a little sad: I have no guilty pop culture pleasures to declare. I fear I may be no fun at all. I did eat half a bag of licorice the other day. Can that count?

    ReplyDelete