Tuesday 1 September 2009

Hollywood Babble On & On #361: Some Random News

SCORSESE GETS A SERIES

HBO has given the green-light to Boardwalk Empire, which will be produced by Martin Scorsese with Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson, the gangster-political boss who ruled Atlantic City in the 1920s.

I like Scorsese when he's dealing with the world of crime and gangsters, the Prohibition Era has always been a fascination for me, and I think Steve Buscemi is an underused actor, and I'm glad that he has his own series. I hope it's good.

FOX REVIVES FANTASTIC FOUR

In a bit of a fist-up for rival Disney, Fox has announced that it's exercising its option to revive the Fantastic Four franchise.

You know, I liked the Fantastic Four in comics when I was a kid, even though I was more of a Batman fan, but I really didn't care for the movie version. Reed Richards was an absent minded professor, not the smartest man in the Marvel Universe, despite the fact that Ioan Gruffud, is a pretty good actor, he wasn't given much to work with. They also reworked Dr. Doom into some sort of smarmy yuppie, and not the sinister dictator, they seem to treat Latveria as an afterthought. And to be honest, despite looking good in a tight spandex suit, Jessica Alba just wasn't believable as the brainy Sue Storm.

And don't get me started on them making Galactus into a cloud.

All I can say is do it right this time. The book is basically about a family that even though they bicker, and fight, and have their dysfunctions, always comes together as a family to face down whatever fantastical threat the world faces.

I get the feeling that this is only just the beginning. I don't see Fox letting their hold on their Marvel characters slip any time soon. There's more than just profits at stake, there's also the gravy of pissing off Disney big-time.

DEADMAN GETS A MOVIE?

Relatively obscure superhero
Deadman is reportedly being developed into a movie by Guillermo Del Toro.

For those in the know, Deadman is a murdered acrobat named Boston Brand, who is brought back to the land of the living as a body-possessing ghost to battle evil.

I'm not going to hold out much hope for this production. Right now the Green Lantern is the most talked about property in DC comics arsenal, and his movie is in danger of being canceled or pushed back because of a fluctuation in the value of the Australian dollar, causing the budget to explode.

If it's too expensive to get a movie made of the currently biggest player in the DCU, I'm not sure if Warner Bros. is going to drop the minimum $60+ million to make a bare bones version of the relatively minor Deadman, and it will most likely fade away with so many other comic book developments.

So I'm not holding out too much hope for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment