I meant to get to this earlier but Disney announced that they're hoping to put out a new Star Wars movie EVERY FREAKING YEAR.
Let's look at the PROS & CONS of this idea:
1. People are hungry for more Star Wars, and this will be more Star Wars happening than ever before.
2. They're following the model that their division Marvel's been following when it comes to a nearly constant output of Marvel movies.
1. This means a nearly constant stream of bogus "leaks" by the minions of JJ Abrams spreading rumours of things that probably won't be in the movies.
2. This could create a logjam within the studio considering how inefficient studio development can be.
3. The Marvel model may not be the exact thing to emulate, since it is, in fact, half a dozen individual franchises that are only connected via the elements of The Avengers franchise. Star Wars is different because all the movies have been centred around Darth Vader and his family. The rumours coming out, which might be all lies since this is a JJ Abrams production, is that they're probably going to somehow continue along that vein.
That is 1 franchise, not a half-dozen franchises set within the same universe.
To make it viable they need to create new characters and new franchises within the greater Star Wars universe. Some can be found in the "expanded universe" material done in books and comics, but Disney hasn't given any sign they're interested in doing anything with that material. In fact, there are reports that they intend to scrap it all.
Which makes me worry about this plan.