Tuesday 25 June 2013

Richard Matheson R.I.P.


Richard Matheson, writer of novels, short stories, screenplays, and teleplays in the genres of science fiction, fantasy, horror, war, and even western passed away at the age of 87.


I can't tell you how much of an idol Matheson was to me. When I was a kid I started to pay attention to the names of writers on TV shows and movies, and when I saw Matheson's name pop up on an episode of Star Trek and The Twilight Zone, or in a movie, I knew I was probably going to like it.

He was part of that small group of writers, nicknamed the Southern California Sorcerers, that included Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, William F. Nolan, Charles Beaumont, Jerry Sohl, George Clayton Johnson, and Rod Serling who proved to the world that writing science fiction, fantasy, and horror for television could be art.

Later on I got into his books and short stories, and my admiration for him grew exponentially. He could do it all, and do it extremely well if you look at the sheer volume of classics he created for print and screen.

Goodbye Richard, you will be missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment